About Spondylolisthesis Stories ...

Welcome! Spondylolisthesis Stories is a compilation of personal stories involving individual's diagnoses, experiences, surgeries, and life with Spondylolisthesis.


My hope is that this site may offer a voice and platform for those with the spine condition to share their personal stories with the medical community, fellow Spondyo patients, and the world as a whole. Spondylolisthesis Stories also provides a wide array of information, personal knowledge, support and ideas for those with Spondylolisthesis. Whether you were recently diagnosed, learning to live with the condition, making difficult decisions regarding surgical interventions, in the early phase of recovery following an operation, or further into your journey, this site covers it all!


In addition to general stories about this spine condition, personal stories which focus on the subject of Spondylolisthesis & Pregnancy may also be found. These shared experiences detail the matter of labor and delivery, and include women with both unfused slips and those whom have had surgery prior to pregnancy. It has been my experience that this topic is one which is shrouded in some mystery. By sharing these stories I hope we may be able to shed some light on the subject; offering guidance and ideas to those females with Spondyo who would like to become pregnant but fear the unknowns which this condition can create.


I am always seeking new stories and would love to hear yours! Let your story and voice be heard! Please contact me (Brenna), at spondyostories@gmail.com, in order to share your story here. If you are seeking additional help and support from others with Spondyo, please ask to join the "Spondylolisthesis and Retrolisthesis Support Group" on Facebook. *This group is closed, and therefore, offers a higher level of privacy and comfort for all members to share openly and without fear of judgement. It is open to anyone with Spondylolisthesis (or a family members of those with Spondylolisthesis) to join.


Below the Spondylolisthesis stories you will find several survey questions. If you have Spondylolisthesis, please take a moment to review these questions and select your answer(s). You are also encouraged to join in and participate by interacting in the "Community Answers" board, located at the bottom of the page. Feel free to post questions and comments, share stories, answer the questions already presented, and ask your own questions! I greatly appreciate your participation and look forward to reading your answers and comments!

Spondylolisthesis Stories ...

Monday, March 19, 2012

Spondylolisthesis Story #5: Victoria (Grade 1)

Victoria - Spondylolisthesis Story (Grade 1) 

I have Spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 and in my neck. The surgeons (2 so far) are recommending fusion. I do not want to do it. It scares me! I’ve already survived Breast Cancer and a lot of surgeries. I am not sure I can handle more. I have pain that radiates down my right leg to my foot (no foot drop yet), and pain that radiates down my left arm (Breast Cancer side). I am getting a third opinion on my neck and back (two slips), but no matter what, I cannot do anything until November 2012. And then the doc wants to do my neck first. 

In the meantime, I have to continue to work. My job is very physical (lots of bending and lifting - I work in horticulture). I have tried PT, the Egoscue Method, Yoga, Acupuncture, Massage, Chiropractic etc. I've even dipped my whole leg into freezing ice water! I have had 9 surgeries in the past 3 1/2 years for breast cancer stuff and I really, really do not want more surgery and the horrible painful recovery that I hear about from just about everyone. Plus, pain meds and I do not agree, so I do not know what I would do to ward off the pain after surgery. I am almost more afraid of the pain meds than the surgery itself! My Spondylolisthesis has caused Stenosis and Bone Spurs, and that stuff is what pinches on the nerve and causes radiating pain. My slip is only a grade 1, but the instability is pretty extreme.

Of all things, I am a yoga teacher! - Isn’t that just too wild. A Yoga teacher with Breast Cancer and Spondylolisthesis in two places. My situation has caused me to explore meditation and I have done advanced training in a form of Yoga called Yoga Nidra (Yogic Sleep). That practice has helped me a lot. My doc told me the worst thing I could do was to stop moving. I am getting a Cortisone Injection in my Lumbar spine this Wednesday and then that will be followed by a series for my neck. I am hoping these reduce the inflammation and the pain. In the meantime, I have kicked my Yoga practice into higher gear, in terms of its physicality. I was really laying off as I was scared but since my doctor said “yes, do more yoga - it’s great for you,” I am doing just that, but very, very mindfully. I am hyper-flexible, so I am really concentrating on balance and strength. I hope all of the above strategies work so that I can soldier on with the help of the Cortisone, some meditation, and staying strong - and keep the surgeons knife at bay. But if I have to do it, I will.

Thanks to all of you ....

- Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Spondylolisthesis Story!

Would you like to share your personal story and experiences involving Spondylolisthesis? I am currently seeking others to share their respective experiences with the spine condition; including symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, surgeries, and all of the details in-between. Have your voice be heard & help make a difference in other's lives by telling your story here! If you're interested, or would like to inquire further regarding this project and website, please contact Brenna through the Spondylolisthesis Facebook Page: FB.Spondylolisthesis, or email Brenna at spondyostories@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you and getting your story posted!

FB Comment Box. Please use this box to elaborate on your survey answers seen below.

Spondylo Polls

Please take a moment to review and answer the survey questions below! If you'd like to further elaborate on any of these polls questions/answers, please comment in the FB Comment Box or participate in the "Community Answers" section below. Thanks!

What grade is your Spondylolisthesis?

At which vertebrae is your Spondylolisthesis slip?

What is/has been most helpful in treating your pain associated with your Spondylolisthesis?

Have you had Laser Spine Surgery to treat your Spondylolisthesis?

Did one or more pregnancies cause your slip to progress in grade?