About Spondylolisthesis Stories ...

Welcome! Spondylolisthesis Stories is a compilation of personal stories involving individual's diagnoses, experiences, surgeries, and life with Spondylolisthesis.


My hope is that this site may offer a voice and platform for those with the spine condition to share their personal stories with the medical community, fellow Spondyo patients, and the world as a whole. Spondylolisthesis Stories also provides a wide array of information, personal knowledge, support and ideas for those with Spondylolisthesis. Whether you were recently diagnosed, learning to live with the condition, making difficult decisions regarding surgical interventions, in the early phase of recovery following an operation, or further into your journey, this site covers it all!


In addition to general stories about this spine condition, personal stories which focus on the subject of Spondylolisthesis & Pregnancy may also be found. These shared experiences detail the matter of labor and delivery, and include women with both unfused slips and those whom have had surgery prior to pregnancy. It has been my experience that this topic is one which is shrouded in some mystery. By sharing these stories I hope we may be able to shed some light on the subject; offering guidance and ideas to those females with Spondyo who would like to become pregnant but fear the unknowns which this condition can create.


I am always seeking new stories and would love to hear yours! Let your story and voice be heard! Please contact me (Brenna), at spondyostories@gmail.com, in order to share your story here. If you are seeking additional help and support from others with Spondyo, please ask to join the "Spondylolisthesis and Retrolisthesis Support Group" on Facebook. *This group is closed, and therefore, offers a higher level of privacy and comfort for all members to share openly and without fear of judgement. It is open to anyone with Spondylolisthesis (or a family members of those with Spondylolisthesis) to join.


Below the Spondylolisthesis stories you will find several survey questions. If you have Spondylolisthesis, please take a moment to review these questions and select your answer(s). You are also encouraged to join in and participate by interacting in the "Community Answers" board, located at the bottom of the page. Feel free to post questions and comments, share stories, answer the questions already presented, and ask your own questions! I greatly appreciate your participation and look forward to reading your answers and comments!

Spondylolisthesis Stories ...

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spondylolisthesis Story #4: Elaine

Elaine - Spondylolisthesis Story

I had my surgery 11 years ago. I did feel a bit better after I had it done, but I feel bad again now. I've never been, what you call 'pain-free,' but just carried on. I'm having grating nerve pains in my lower back now, and a ripping sensation on my skin, which I think is nerve damage. Just general pain all-around really. I am glad I had it done though because I don't know how I would've been otherwise. Plus, I think my pregnancy would have felt an awful lot worse than it did. Gets me down loads. 

I was only 27 when I had the L4 & L5 fused, so that's probably contributing to things now. Plus, all the other different pains I am feeling. Like I say, I don't regret having it done, but I suffer with depression now and I don't think I would be able to go through with another stint in hospital ... spent too much time in them, what with one thing and another.

Backache was moderate whilst carrying my daughter, but after no one listened to what I wanted at the birth, I ended up having a C-Section, as she got stuck. Back-pain was terrible afterwards, plus I had the extra pain from the C-Section site. I didn't get pregnant until 3 years after my back surgery, but wanted a C-Section right from the start ... but no one listened!! Some nerve pains occured whilst carrying, but at the minute I'm dealing with three totally different pains, rolled into one. 

1. I have the dull, constant lower back-pain. 2. The grating, nervey pains, which I think is the framework. 3. The ripping sensations on my skin, which I think is maybe nerve damage. They all happen together, which is not nice at all. 

I've always had twinges in different areas, but I think my consultant found this rather 'silly' if you like, and I don't think she believed me to be honest. Like I said though, everyone is different, and personally I can't see how you can be totally pain-free with that structure inside of you, if you know what I mean? I've never been able to lie flat on the floor on my back Post-Op, as my structure sticks in me; sounds weird, but true. Depending on the style of a chair too, the back rest will stick directly into the area where my structure is, which is a very unpleasant sensation. I haven't had any X-Rays or an MRI for a long time because I am afraid, although I am going to ask to be refered again and see just what's happening inside me. I think that's as far as I'm going to go too, as I dont think that I could deal with things as well as I did 11 years ago, as a lot of things have happened in my life since then. 

If I can help someone else ... then I'm happy. I've always wanted to talk about what's happened and how it's affected me in every way, but you get to thinking that people get bored of hearing it. But, at the end of the day, it's no small issue to deal with! Its' hard as hell mentally and physically, and very difficult to come to terms with what was, and still is. 

- Elaine


Elaine's Post-Op Fusion X-Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Spondylolisthesis Story!

Would you like to share your personal story and experiences involving Spondylolisthesis? I am currently seeking others to share their respective experiences with the spine condition; including symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, surgeries, and all of the details in-between. Have your voice be heard & help make a difference in other's lives by telling your story here! If you're interested, or would like to inquire further regarding this project and website, please contact Brenna through the Spondylolisthesis Facebook Page: FB.Spondylolisthesis, or email Brenna at spondyostories@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you and getting your story posted!

FB Comment Box. Please use this box to elaborate on your survey answers seen below.

Spondylo Polls

Please take a moment to review and answer the survey questions below! If you'd like to further elaborate on any of these polls questions/answers, please comment in the FB Comment Box or participate in the "Community Answers" section below. Thanks!

What grade is your Spondylolisthesis?

At which vertebrae is your Spondylolisthesis slip?

What is/has been most helpful in treating your pain associated with your Spondylolisthesis?

Have you had Laser Spine Surgery to treat your Spondylolisthesis?

Did one or more pregnancies cause your slip to progress in grade?